[Artful-Design] DSN100: new Stanford Continuing Studies course

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Aug 31 10:39:16 PDT 2020

Dear all,

This Fall I will be teaching an online Stanford Continuing Studies
course, DSN100 Artful Design: How We Shape Technology and How Technology
Shapes Us.  It will be six weeks (starting in October), with
lectures/discussions every Thursday 5-6:50pm PT, and we will be using
/Artful Design/ as our textbook.  This is an opportunity to to come
together for a focused exploration into artful design, technology, and
society.  No prior experience is necessary and, as an online course, it
will be open across time zones.  The tuition fee is $360.

Learn more | enroll:
   https://artful.design/dsn100/
   https://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/courses/detail/20201_DSN-100

Course Description:
---
“At this point in history, our lives and freedom depend largely upon the
skill and imagination and courage of our managers and engineers.”
—Kurt Vonnegut, /Player Piano/ (1952)

Why do we shape technology? What does it mean to do it well, to do it
artfully and ethically? How might we fashion tools that lead to richer
and more meaningful forms of life? In this course, we will unpack the
role of design in human life and consider artful design as a
multi-disciplinary fusion of engineering, philosophy, ethics, and art.
Its underlying ethos: rather than relying on a deficits-model in which
we figure out what is missing and design to fill that need, we aim to
fashion tools that help us flourish, and flourish together.

Topics will include the design (and implications of) tools, social
media, toys, games, laws and public policies (yes, they can be artfully
designed, too!) and artificial intelligence systems with humans in the
loop.  We will examine how we design these things and how they, in turn,
shape our society and ourselves. Through this course, students will
learn to more clearly and critically view our technology-drenched human
world—and to exercise their ethical and artful imagination in search of
a gentler one.
---

Stay safe, healthy, artful,
Ge!

~~~
Ge Wang
Associate Professor
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA)
Department of Music (also Computer Science, by Courtesy)
Stanford University
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~ge/
~
Artful Design: Technology in Search of the Sublime!
-- what we make, makes us --
https://artful.design/
~~~