[anet08banff] Verdione/World opera in Tromsø good news and Call for applicants to 2 ph.d. positions in Tromsø at Verdione/World opera project due August 21st. 2009

Lund Niels Windfeld niels.windfeld.lund at uit.no
Tue Jul 7 06:04:06 PDT 2009

Dear colleagues and friends

It is a great pleasure for me to tell you that we have now announced 2
ph.d. positions for the Verdione / World opera project in Tromsø
affiliated at the Computer Science department in Tromsø, see more here:

https://secure.jobbnorge.no/visstilling2.aspx?stillid=59674
The Ph.D. project will focus on the coherence, consistency, causality and
synchronicity arising when combining distributed physical and virtual
realities.

https://secure.jobbnorge.no/visstilling2.aspx?stillid=59675
The Ph.D. project will focus on merging physical and virtual realities.
Artists and the audience at one location must blend with the other
participating locations into a coherent presentation, merging the local
physical reality with the visualization of the remote locations. The
research is systems oriented where systems are designed, implemented and
experimented upon.

Please forward to your colleagues, especially fresh graduate students from
masterprograms, ready for 3 years in Tromsø working on making the
distributed opera stage into reality within 3-4 years. Do not hesitate to
ask and comment. I will be online all summer !

I am also very happy to be able to tell you that Jason Geistweidt from
Chicago, with his ph.d. from SARC, will start as post-doc in Tromsø from
January 2010. We are also now in negotiations with the Cultural
house/Concert hall and the Northern Norwegian Symphony Orchestra in making
a world opera lab in the Cultural house with connections to 3 stages of
different size, in other words the ph.d. students will have the
possibility to work together with many of you in the network community.

So finally we are starting to move forward and we are looking forward to
get a lot of good applicants from all over and to intensify the
cooperation with you all.

All the best and have a nice summer
Niels

Niels Windfeld Lund
professor, University of Tromsø
general manager, The International World opera