[220a] MUSIC 220A: Whale Trip (Final Info)

Nick Virzi nvirzi at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Oct 5 20:06:53 PDT 2021

Hello MUSIC 220A and Whale Trip Guests!

Here are several important points and reminders for our upcoming whale
watch trip on Thursday, 10/7:

Transportation:

1. For those planning to travel via the class bus, meet in front of
Florence Moore Hall (436 Mayfield Ave) at 8:45AM.
2. For those planning to drive separately, plan to arrive at Fisherman's
Wharf in Monterey at 12pm.
3. The boat is scheduled to return around 4:30-5pm. The bus is scheduled
to depart shortly afterwards for Stanford. Traffic is hard to predict,
but we anticipate returning to campus around 7:30-8pm.

*Parking Note: Fisherman's Wharf has a large parking lot with plenty of
spaces, but the best place to park is by Custom House Plaza (near the
Old Fisherman's Wharf).

Food:

1. Before embarking, we will be having lunch outside at Custom House
Plaza. Sandwiches and other lunch foods will be provided.
2. Light snacks will be provided while on the boat.
3. Pizza will be provided once we disembark.

To Bring:

1. Water
2. Sunscreen
3. Hat
4. Equipment: headphones and a portable field recorder (if you have
one). Recorders will be provided to those who do not own one.
5. $10 to provide a tip for naturalists on the boat.

Seasickness:

1. Eat a bland breakfast the morning of and a simple dinner the night
before.
2. Do NOT drink alcohol the night before.
3. Get plenty of sleep the night before.
4. Dramamine, an over-the-counter antihistamine used to combat nausea,
will be available for those who want it.

General Considerations:

1. Dress in layers, as temperatures can vary dramatically throughout the
course of the trip. Be prepared for both a hot and a cold day.
2. Do not bring anything that you do not wish to get (a little) wet! For
example, expensive laptops do not mix well with seawater/seaspray.

COVID-19 Protocols:

1. Guests from outside the Stanford community are required to complete
the following health attestation form:
https://redcap.stanford.edu/surveys/?s=TMJAC9X3JM

Please let me know if you have any questions in advance. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Nick

--
Nick Virzi, D.M.A.